Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Gene's Sewing Studio


Welcome to Gene’s Studio

Hello everyone and welcome to my little corner of the creative universe! Come on it grab a beverage and sit and sew awhile!

My media of choice is fabric and fiber. I enjoy garment construction, quilting, home dec sewing, machine embroidery, knitting, and surface design.

My studio is over our 2.5 car garage. My room is 19 x 22.5 feet. It is my place to create and relax. I have 6 sewing machines and 2 sergers that I use. I usually have 1 serger and 4 sewing machines set up at any one time. Please follow me as we continue on our tour.


After climbing the stairs to get up to my studio this is the first view that greets you. It is standing on the landing looking down my wall of bookcases towards the south wall. On the left side of the photo are bookcases that contain books, supplies, buttons and yarn. In front of the window on the left is my ironing station. To the right of that is my design wall followed by another window (the shade is down hard to tell it from the design wall. The back of the chair is my guest sewing station. The sewing machine on right side of the picture with the back showing is my 200/730 set up for embroidery. Behind that facing the camera is my primary sewing station. The Dr Seuss fabric sitting in the foreground is on the end of my cutting table. Most of the cutting table is out of the picture. Directly to the right out of camera range is the railing to the stairs where I have a metal closet organizer surrounding my thread cabinet.



Here is my thread cabinet it was origionally used to store punch cards that were used to program computers. It has 33 drawers that are 2.25” high by 8” wide and 16” deep! It is awesome!! To bad all of my thread does not fit in it. The thread cabinet backs up to the stair railing and has a metal closet organizer surrounding it that provides lots of shelf space.


This photo shows most of my unboxed fabric wall (the fabric shelves go approx 6 feet to the right out of the range of the camera). To the right of the open shelves starts all my boxed fabric. Most of the fabric in the boxes is cataloged in a 3 ring binder. I use banker’s boxes and they are 3 deep against the wall. I use the flat surface the boxes create as a shelf to hold an extra roll of batting and a bunch of polar fleece. The end of the cutting table can be seen in the foreground of the photograph.


Stand with my back to the fabric wall here is  a look at the book end of my wall of bookcases. The bookcases to the right off the edge of the photo contain supplies, buttons and yarn.


Here is a close up of the dividers I made so I can keep my books organized and be able to find the one I want with out having to search the whole bookcase.


Here is a photo of my main sewing station. It currently has my 440 set up on it. To the right on the edge of the photo is my Bernina 180e set up for embroidery. The blank spot on the cabinet behind the desk lamp is where my Bernina tackle box goes. When the picture was taken it was at the shop for club weekend.


In front of my main sewing station is my design wall it is about 6 to 7 feet wide. To the left is my ironing station and behind me is my Bernina 200/730 set up for embroidery.


This photo is showing my 200/730 set up for embroidery and the back of my 1630 that is setting on the guest sewing station. It also shows my cutting table. The far back corner is where I was standing when I took the first photo. That is the top of the stairs.


Here is a close up of my iron station. I like to stand and look out the window when I have to iron/press! On the bookcases there is my yarn collection, button collection and some bolted fabric. My serger station can be seen in the foreground. To the left of the serger is my guest sewing station.



Here is a close up of the cutting implement pegboard at the top of my stairs. I am not even sure how many scissors and rotary cutters it contains.



And last but not least is Ms. Violet Royale. She is the governess of my studio she sees and knows all! She is about 24 inches tall and purple!!!!! She sits on top of a tall narrow bookcase. I love her!

I hope you have enjoyed the tour of my studio! I have enjoyed showing to you. I feel very blessed for having it and I love when friends come over and sew with me!

Happy sewing to all!!!

3 comments:

  1. Gene, this is a wonderful space and I am in awe. Hope I get to sew in it one day.
    L

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Gene! What an amazing set-up you have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed seeing your creative space. I'm back in Cordova after a horrendous 2 years (sister diagnosed with stage 4 bone cancer, my mother having Alzheimers and dealing with her care until a fall she had ended in her death, and worst of all, Richard's death when his plane crashed at the mouth of the Seal River last summer). Hopefully I can get over to Anchorage and take a class or 2 at SLH and maybe even have you provide me with remedial help with my 200...how to actually be able to open embroidery patterns I've downloaded so I can sew them out...Great to see your sewing room and know that you are still at SLH!

    ReplyDelete