Monday, April 9, 2012

Meg's Sewing Studio

Hi!  I’m Meg and I’m a sewing machine repair technician here at Seams Like Home.
I moved into my childhood home 3 ½ years ago, and now have a great space for sewing/crafting.  Having to show my area in this blog prompted me to clean up the room, and really get organized.  Look now, because it will never be this clean again.
I am using my formal dining room as a sewing room.  What a lot of space!  I have the TV to watch while sewing, and my Aussie to keep me company.  One end of the room has my sewing machine, and the other end my cutting table.

My favorite tool is the design board.  Using the top of a bed for laying out a quilt got to be a hassle if someone needed to sleep, and having the quilt horizontal I just didn’t get the whole picture.


The dining room table was too low to use as a support for a cutting surface.  The top of the dog kennel is higher, so I put a board across the kennel and now have a great cutting area.  My newest tool for cutting is the rotating cutting mat.  Now the dining table is free for me to have a space for beading and paper crafts.  I especially like Tim Holtz tags.

I have been sewing since I was 12, doing mostly clothing and home dec.  I made my dress for my senior prom.  Well, I made the dress, and on the day of the prom my Mom was sewing on the pearl accents. 
I started quilting in 1986, but never felt that there was enough time to devote to it.   I retired June 2011, and now I have time.  I especially enjoy Breakfast Club here at Seams Like Home.  Marcia picks a new quilt to do every month, and she introduces new techniques with each quilt.  I get to use those beautiful Bali Pops in many of the quilts.
The quilter’s saying is “the one who dies with the most fabric wins.”  I’m doing my part in this contest.  I have so much fabric that I use an empty bedroom to store it.  One wall is nothing but shelves where I have boxes of fabric by color and by theme.  I love the Asian-themed fabrics and the blenders that go with them, batiks, and I have several boxes of my hand-dyed fabrics.   I also store my needlepoint projects and yarn here, along with patterns, batting, and pillow forms.  In a different bedroom there is wall storage for all my quilt and craft-related books.
Thanks for visiting.  Now I’ll get back to sewing, and mess up my room.

No comments:

Post a Comment