Monday, February 13, 2012

Karens Sewing Studio

HEADS WILL ROLL!

I am lucky to have a wonderful and light filled “laboratory” right downstairs next to my family room.  Entry is through pocket doors that can be closed to hide chaos and keep my “dogmonsters” out.  (One “monster” has a penchant for knocking over my Holly Hobby trash can!)  Needless to say, it’s not your typical sewing room.  In my space you’ll find a “manicure and pedicure” attached and drying on the ironing board (I don’t want to smudge the nails!), a head propped up with “makeup setting” and a body waiting for these parts!
   
I try to keep some plan of organization so I have labels on most drawers and containers  - hair - purses  & shoes – dyes – snowflakes - vintage jewelry (by color)  and on and on  – including the inevitable “spare body parts”  bin. (Dolls are “high maintenance”)   I have a fantastic younger sister who finds me so many beautiful trims, jewelry, buttons, lace and everything a doll maker would love to have (and the fashionable doll “needs”).  So I have wrapped all these wonderful “frou frou’s” on old spools, created containers of jewelry and laces, and THE “tower” of button drawers (by color).   In “payment” I send her dolls whether she likes or not!  (I think she likes them.)

However, in some ways, my sewing room is very similar to others.  I do have the drawers of thread, notions, pins, needles, scissors, rulers (and so on) and THE “STASH.”  My “stash”is organized (by color) and I have the “novelty” stack.   I also have a small closet under the stairs (aka “The Black Hole”) where I put things I don’t want to give up (“because I may want them someday”) and I think I still remember what’s in there?   I just ignore this closet most of the time!

My sewing room is my “ahhh” room (unless I need to use my seam ripper) and I love to be in there creating or planning a new project.  It’s a place to relax and just “have fun” (my mantra) and watch a Jane Austen movie while I sew away the day.  I hope you have enjoyed me sharing one of my favorite passions.    

Karen


Welcome!

Oh the possibilities!


The "stash" & iron board accessories!

2 comments:

  1. Looks awesome, Karen. It doesn't surprise me at all that you are so tidy and organized. I'm envious of the large lovely windows you have right there to look out of, and by the impressive fabric stash! Beautiful work space!

    --Jenn M

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great space for a retreat. Looks like you've got a lot packed neatly in your space...oh the dolls that are waiting to come to life!

    ReplyDelete