Monday, June 4, 2012

MyFav's - Maret


Welcome to Week 3 of our MyFav's blog series. Check out what Maret has to say about her favorite sewing/quilting related items!

1.      What is your favorite sewing/quilting book?
Why are these questions so hard?!  I love books!  Nothing is more relaxing and inspiring than a cup of coffee (or red wine) and looking through the newest books. 
Right now I have been devouring Fiberart Montage by Judith Baker Montano.  Judith is our featured teacher at our first quilt retreat in Halibut Cove this summer.  Her creations are pieces of art!  Her book combines photography, watercolor paintings, fiber creations and silk ribbon embroidery…all the things I love to do!  Her older books are timeless resources for hand embroidery and silk ribbon techniques.  I love doing hand work. 

2.     What is your favorite sewing notion?
When cleaning my sewing studio, I discovered 4 Kwik Klip notions! You really only need one, but obviously when I couldn’t find mine, I needed another and another and another!
This is the best tool for closing those safety pins while pinning your quilts.  No more broken fingernails!

3.     What is your favorite sewing foot?
I LOVE the #10 edge foot.  This foot allows you to get up close and personal with the edge of your project and gives a professional finish to your seams.  I have used in on a leather bag that I made and people are amazed at the details on the seams!  It looks better than store bought.
I also LOVE the #43 free motion couching foot.  This foot is a must have for any machine embellisher!  I also LOVE  the hemmer feet, # 60, # 61 and #62.  These feet help sew narrow rolled hems on scarves and garments.  I also LOVE…oh wait, I’m only supposed to pick one favorite?!  The list just goes on and on….

4.     What is your favorite hand/machine sewing thread?
I love to piece with Aurifil thread.  It is a long staple Egyptian cotton thread that doesn’t leave tons of lint in your sewing machine.  It is also great for machine quilting because is embeds in the quilt, instead of lying on top as some thicker threads tend to do.
We are slowly bringing in more art threads to be used for embellishments.  King Tut, Masterpiece, and Rainbows just to name a few. 
I also love silk ribbon, floss and thread.  We have the ENTIRE line of Judith Baker Montano’s hand dyed silk threads and ribbons.  Scrumptious!

5.     What is your favorite sewing blog?
This blog makes me laugh!  Zombies have invaded, but at least this one has a sense of humor and “thehappyzombie.com” makes me happy.  Monica Soloria-Snow is unsupervised and armed with sewing needles.  Not your traditional quilter/sewer!  I love seeing what new tricks and techniques she comes up!

Karen Snyder is a mainstay in the quilting industry.  She is an author, fabric designer, and previous shop owner.  I had the pleasure of meeting her a few years ago and spending some time during dinners getting to know her.  Her style is more traditional quilting and her blogs are always entertaining.   Her blog, “annalenaland.com” features her sewing projects as well as her love of photography.

Okay so, not a sewing blog but a life blog…I love “hands free mama.com” blog.  Our lives get too busy and our eyes are always glued to the computer screen, phone screen, movie screen,  tv screen so much that that sometimes I want to scream! While we need to have some interaction with electronics…do remember to put them down and enjoy the moments around you.  Rachel Macy Stafford writes posts so eloquently…read it-live it.


And don't forget, leave a comment here to be entered into our $25 gift card drawing. We will randomly choose the winner next Monday!
Thanks for visiting and don't forget to come in the store to check out the items Maret mentions above! 

7 comments:

  1. I'm not doing a lot of sewing right now, the way you ladies are, but I enjoy the emails and the blog. It's like cooking, I may not do much of it, but I love reading a great cookbook or cooking magazine. I feel the same way about your blog and emails. Sadly I was out of town for the coupon. Just because I don't sew/craft like you guys doesn't mean I didn't "need" more fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many years ago I dabbled in silk ribbon embroidery and own one of Judith Baker Montano's books...I'll have to remember and bring in the vest I made someday. Maybe June's Breakfast Club. I love all the ribbons and flosses you have recently gotten in...it's making me want to work with silk ribbon again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lots of good reading here ... am enjoying the questions and answers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun blog! Makes me want to get back to my sewing room, especially on a rainy day like today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope I win so I can make something new!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would be much like you if I had to choose only one answer for those questions. There are so many items I love and still I need more; I think they refer to this scenerio as "Addiction".

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, this weeks winners are "ae" and "Rachel"; come on into the store to pick up your giftcards!!

    ReplyDelete