Monday, June 25, 2012

My Favorites - Karen


This week our featured Staff Member is doll extraordinary, Karen Smith! See what she has to say about her favorite sewing items! 


Q: What is your favorite sewing/quilting book?

A: Books are a weakness for me!  I love books and have just about every book that has ever been published regarding cloth dolls.  I also have a weakness for magazines and have just about every magazine on cloth dolls.  I think that I get the most from Patti Medaris Culea’s books.  Her most recent book is the best – it is a compilation of her first 4 books – called “Creative Cloth Doll Collection.”  It’s a wealth of cloth doll construction and everything to dress and embellish a doll.  My second favorite (right now) is “Cloth Doll Artistry” by Barbara Willis.  She has some of the most beautiful embellished dolls too.  (These can all change with my mood)            

Q: What is your favorite sewing notion?

A:  My favorite and most useful notion is the Stuffing Tools for cloth dolls.  I have both sizes – the larger one for body parts and the really small one to push stuffing into little fingers and toes.  You cannot really stuff a cloth doll without one so I always have this on my class lists and Seams Like Home stocks both sizes.  They are so useful for pincushions, stuffed animals and etc. too.  My favorite stuffing is Premium Polyfil by Fairfield. 

Q: What is your favorite sewing foot?

A:  My favorite sewing foot is my Free Motion Embroidery Foot.  This foot lets me create just about any fairy wing I design.  Also, I can add wonderful thread embellishments to my fabric before creating a doll.   I also really can’t sew a doll without the open toe foot as it allows me to see the stitching line and to sew with accuracy. 

Q: What is your favorite hand/machine sewing thread?

A:  My favorite which is really quite boring, but so incredibly useful, is hand quilting thread by Coats and Clark.  I have tried many different brands and types but this thread is the best for everything from sewing arms, legs and heads to my dolls, but also to add embellishments, beading and making wired ribbon flowers.  I can tug it fairly firmly and it just doesn’t break.  I have every color that has come out.  But it absolutely must be the “hand quilting” thread, not machine quilting.  I also like a lot of metallic threads by Madeira and Superior – they add the “fairy” touch.

Q: What is your favorite sewing blog(s)?

A:  This one is a difficult one to narrow down to one or even two.  I love Joggles – this site has just about everything a doll artist/mixed media artist would like.  This site also sends out a “mid week muse” video tutorial that is usually interesting showing techniques for new or interesting products.  I also like to visit Dollmakers Journey  -  they send out a monthly newsletter with information on new patterns and products.  They also have a sale every month on a pattern category and lots of links for upcoming challenges and etc.  I also enjoy Patti Medaris Culea’s site – she has some wonderful patterns and really good links.  But I check out many more too.


Don't forget to leave a comment to be entered into our gift card drawing! Thanks for stopping by!

9 comments:

  1. I really need the free motion foot. It sound fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I once accidently put hand quilting thread on my bobbin. Talk about a mess!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I seem to always inherit sewing books and magazines. I have a ton!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a beginner, I have been collecting patterns. Can't wait to get started on a few projects!

    ReplyDelete
  5. great post! there are so many facets to sewing, and, thankfully, there are so many tools, books and blogs for every taste. always find something interesting something here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure a lot of people benefit from your doll making. I had an elderly cousin who collected dolls. Yours would probably be a nice addition to her collection.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love making doll clothes so my two daughters had tons of Barbie Doll clothes, never used a pattern. Later I made evening gowns (darn Cotillion Club anyway).
    Have never made a doll but I bet it would be fun.

    Rory Landers

    ReplyDelete
  8. Virginia- You are this weeks contest winner! Congrats! Come into the store to pick up your gift card, it will be waiting for you at the front counter!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Since I don't make dolls I did not know about the stuffing tool. I might have to pick one up since I am planning to make a stuffed animal for one of my favorite little guys and this should come in handy. I was wondering how I could stuff it nicely and tight enough so it does not go limp after the first washing.

    ReplyDelete